70th Annual First Citizen Award Honoring Paul Allen
On Thursday, October 30th, the Seattle-King County Association of Realtors will be honoring Paul Allen for his “unwavering commitment to nonprofit organizations in the Pacific Northwest and lifetime giving approaching $1 billion.” The co-founder of Microsoft and chairman of Vulcan, Inc. has influenced our region to be one of the most desired places in the country to live and work.
The gala banquet will be held at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel on 6th Avenue. Tickets are $125 per person, or $1,100 for a table of 10. You can register here, or come back to our blog and find a link on the right of our page under “Events.”
Allen’s contributions include:
- Donated $18 million to build a new library addition at the University of Washington.
- Created the Kenneth S. Allen Library Endowment Fund
- Lead donors to the Seattle Public Library Foundation and contributed $22.5 million toward the construction of the new downtown library.
- Donated $5 million to establish the Faye G. Allen Center for Visual Arts.
- Launched foundations to focus specifically on the arts, medical research, and broad range of health and human service needs.
- Formed The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, consolidating six previous foundations; The Allen Foundation for the Arts, The Paul G. Allen Charitable Foundation, The Paul G. Allen Foundation for Medical Research, The Paul G. Allen Forest Protection Foundation, The Allen Foundation for Music, and The Paul G. Allen Virtual Education Foundation.
- Awarded grants to nearly 1,600 diverse nonprofit groups to support and advance their critical charitable endeavors in the Pacific Northwest.
- Founder and chairman of Vulcan Inc. and chairman of Charter Communications.
- Funded SpaceShipOne which was the first privately-funded effort to successfully put a civilian in suborbital space and winer of the Ansari X-Prize competition.
- Owner of the Seattle Seahawks NFL and Portland Trail Blazers NBA franchises, and is part of the primary ownership group for Seattle’s new Major League Soccer team.
- Currently active in the redevelopment of more than 60 acres in the South Lake Union neighborhood.
- Founder of the Experience Museum and Hall of Fame, as well as with Vulcan Productions.
- Commited to $100 million in seed money dedicated to brain research and unveiled the creation of the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle.
Allen is bar far one of the most deserving recipients of the First Citizen award! Learn more about Paul Allen and his contributions by information compiled by the Seattle-King County Association of Realtors.
“The best advice I’ve received came many years ago from my father. He told me that you should love whatever work you do, you should try to find something you truly enjoy. And I’ve been lucky through the years that the work I’ve been involved with has been challenging and for the most part, fun.”
- Paul Allen